Portland home security tips when travelling overseas
Before you head off on an overseas trip it is important to ensure security measures at your Portland home will keep it protected in your absence.
With a carefully planned approach to residential security Portland homeowners will be able to enjoy their off-shore travel with peace of mind that they won’t be coming home to a nightmare of damaged or stolen property.
If you are unsure what steps to take, our experienced security team at Portland Night Patrol offers these tips for you:
- Invest in a quality security system. We recommend, supply and install the Hills NX range because the products are highly effective, simple to use and can connect to other security measures including CCTV cameras, passive infrared detectors, smoke alarms and reed switches.
- Make sure you lock all your doors and windows before leaving. Don’t forget to secure your garage and any sheds too.
- Consider putting any valuables such as jewellery or important documents in a well secured safe for extra protection.
- Install sensor lights outside your home that will come on when they detect movement. You could also use timers on a few internal lights to make them come on randomly, giving the illusion that the home is occupied.
- Make sure trees and shrubs near your home are well trimmed, limiting cover for would-be burglars.
- Get a neighbour to bring your bins in and clear away any junk mail from the mailbox. If you haven’t arranged for someone to collect your mail daily, then put a hold on it and any newspaper deliveries until you return.
- If you are away for several weeks, organise a friend or a mowing company to take care of your lawn. An overgrown lawn, just like an overflowing mailbox, can be a sign that no-one is home.
- Be careful not to highlight your absence on social media. Easily accessible posts and photos of your overseas adventure can be clear indications that you are away.
- And don’t leave a spare house key under a fake rock or pot plant right near the front door. It’s better to give it to a trusted friend or neighbour.
When it comes to residential security Portland people can trust our experienced team to boost protection levels at their houses, units and apartments. Our friendly staff are happy to offer advice and can inspect your property to devise a quality security plan. We also supply and install a wide range of security products to help keep properties across the region safe and secure.
And don’t forget to ask about our alarm system monitoring, swift alarm responses and security system maintenance.
Ensuring you have good residential security in Portland is an asset – whether you are in your home or away. Please contact us for more information.